Friday, July 09, 2004

chest pain anyone?

For almost every year that i have spent in school, i have always had a teacher that i despised by any of the following reasons: teaching technique, grammatical ignorance,lack of fashion sense, p and h defect, corny jokes, ticket-selling requirement,capricious requirements, unacceptable guesses of the facts on the subject and at times the teacher himself for no reason at all. There were those that i got along with later on in life, but then it is inevitable that i have not been able to come to terms with the rest.
The earliest that my brain can remember (at the moment) myself making fun of a teacher was in third year high school. I did not like the way our world history teacher required us to have the 6th edition of Sonia Zaide's text book on the subject. He wanted it covered in blue art paper and plastic. The class was also to have a notebook covered in the same manner. I unfortunately did not have the resources at that time to buy the book for family bankruptcy problems so i rummaged through my cousin's old school books and found an older edition of the text book by Zaide. It was written by both Gregorio Zaide and his daughter Sonia. So what if it was battered and bruised and the pages were yellow in age and the pages were torn in overuse? It was the book he required was it not? i presented it to him because he gave out "extra points" to those who had books and covered ones at that. He refused to give me extra points because it had the name Gregorio and did not have the word 6th edition on it. So i let it pass because i figured, i can make up for those points another time. Now this teacher of mine passed on the "teaching" to the students through reporting. o i forgot to mention that he was a graduate of Computer Science and that he did not have any authority on the subject History whatsoever.... It came to a point that my classmate was discussing a particular cradle of civilization, i posed a question about the literature of that society and as expected my classmate was not able to answer. He then passed on the question to my teacher who brushed the question aside as irrelevant and that the society in question DID NOT HAVE ANY FORM OF LITERATURE. In my battered book, Gregorio mentioned that that particular group even pioneered a form of literature. So i sneered and i kept testing him all through the year. Obnoxious of me? Yes.
I have had many an encounter with teachers that i disagreed with. I even came to a point of spearheading a minimutiny aginst the deputy directress of my high school concerning jogging pants..(what!!!!!) Bad!
Now recently, i went through a series of dramatical changes in my life concerning my relationship with friends. I figured it was time to give up on the old bad habits and follow a lifestyle acceptable to God once more. I decided I was going to avoid making obnoxious remarks, and discard all negativity and paranoia and move on to a happy last year in college. I realize now old habits do die hard. I was recently (last week) faced with another questionable professor. We were happily(at least i was) discussing cradles of civilization in asian civilization when i objected to some corny remarks from the professor. He said that he and his friends once went to new york and found it very pleasing to see the big ben. i am not sure if my classmates saw the irony in that statement because no one dared to respond except I. I tutted and said Huh? how could that be possible? the big ben is in london not in new york. he laughed and noted that i got the joke. fine then.. Soon after half of the class were transferred to another room with another teacher whom they profess as, and i quote, an incessantly grammatically and politically ignorant teacher. my professor then started to talk about the earth having the shape of an inverted apple. He said the earth was a hollow entity with openings at the north pole and south pole. The core inside the earth was according to him an inner sun not the former. He then supported his arguement by citing the aurora borealis, the pyramids of giza and the bermuda triangle. For the first time in my life i shut my mouth and forced my face not to react.
Needless to say i was frustrated. Angry even.But the Bible says "in your anger do not sin" So i kept quiet. I felt that his arguement or theory if you can call it that was moot. It has been proven by science that the earth is round and not hollow. Was he trying to say that all the things i have learned from preschool up to this day are wrong? Was my education in question? I could not take it a step further but i kept my calm. Then came a severe chest pain that felt like an elephant was on top of my chest. it hurt like hell and i couldnt breathe. The pofessor soon noticed my paleness and tried to massage my palm. I complained that it was not working and that i could not feel my hands which were white as paper. I was accompanied by some friends to the clinic and guess what the she said. Hysteria.
Duh! the medication a good dose of oxygen and water. Cool. I didnt know you could force yourself to get sick even if you dont mean to. But it is indeed amazing how i was able to overcome my bad habit through the Holy spirit. I was amazed. So will you have it? Chest pain anyone?

1 comment:

pinaybloodrush said...

what do you expect meg...he uses zaide...hayyyyy.