Monday, July 24, 2006

teachers do cry

I never really thought my favorite teachers ever cried. for me they were strong, bold and aggressive. Never did i think they ever had weak moments.

I dont know if there is some code for teachers never to show their tears. But i am glad they kept things that way.

Today, my student of three months, Yoon So Hee (Lisa) cancelled her class with me. She is one of my favorite students because she's always ready for a class.

about 10 minutes before my class with Lisa, my manager came to me to alter my schedule since according to her the parents are having problems keeping up with the payments for an ESL class.

This is my first teaching job. i have had students who cancelled for various reasons before- some were too busy to continue, some went off to study in other countries, and some had money problems too. Despite their absence i have been able to continue teaching the other students with out much problems.

But Lisa is different. she has grown on me. we have had many a class with funny and challenging moments. she likes being challenged and when i play real stupid she laughs and understands what im doing with her.. she still answers my questions and tries her best to compose good sentences.

i still called her today though. i called her to say good bye. i told her to continue studying English and to use what she learned from me for as long as she can. i told her good bye and take care and that i was sad to be calling her for the last time. she then said the most beautiful sentence she's ever uttered- "Thank You, teacher." i put down the phone and cried.

i sincerely hope i was able to impart the better part of me to her. i'll surely miss her.

Cheers to you Lisa!

No comments: